Thursday, September 15, 2016

Peek at the Week

I want to begin by giving you an overview of my language arts program. Never in my entire teaching career have I solely taught from one textbook. I have always used author studies, thematic units, novel studies, or something else to guide my week. I always cover every standard throughout the year, but I do not rely solely on a textbook to do it! This year I have adopted a new reading program called Rooted in Reading. It was created by a group of teachers, not a textbook company, so we know they "get it!" I launched the program this week, and oh my goodness, I have seen SUCH a huge difference in my ELA classes. It's only been four days and we've learned a ton! They students have been engaged, focused, and excited about reading! YES! The program focuses on reading comprehension, grammar, and my favorite part, vocabulary. I can already see the students using their new vocab words in context and it is so exciting. I even had one student today call out that he made another connection to our story! I was so happy I didn't even care that he called out!

Anyway, each week during the language arts block we will have a focus story that centers around our comprehension skill. I don't have many of these books yet, so they are listed on the Amazon wish list. I would be so grateful to collect as many as possible! In addition to the comprehension skill we will focus on grammar, vocab and phonics. I will continue to use our Scott Foresman textbook for phonics, leveled readers, and fluency. 

This week in reading comprehension our focus has been on the setting of a story (when and where it takes place) and making connections to the story. Our focus story was "When I Was Young in the Mountains" by Cynthia Rylant. I love this story because it's not a typical book that the students would pick out to read for themselves, but they've really enjoyed it. In grammar we introduced nouns and our spelling pattern is inflected endings.


We started on Monday with an introduction to the first three vocab words: pasture, mound, and and heat. We discussed the words, wrote a definition and then the students drew a picture that will help them remember the word's meaning. The vocab words come from our focus story.







We continued with an intro to nouns and did a noun hunt in the spirals (our readers notebook). We then read "When I Was Young in the Mountains" and discussed the setting of a story. They made their own little books about the setting in their favorite stories. 


On Tuesday we continued our vocab study with the next three words: shiver, dusk and threaten. We also reviewed the different types of nouns and read our focus story for the second time. We focused on how the setting impacts the plot and characters.



On Wednesday we learned how to make connections with a story and why it's important. They made a flapbook with their own connections to the story.






Today we shifted gears and I read them a nonfiction story about the Appalachian Mountains. We watched a YouTube video and they had to take notes as they watched. They recorded three interesting facts from the video. We did a directed drawing and they used their notes to write an informational paragraph about the Appalachian Mountains. I love ending the week with a fun craft or project. It only takes ten minutes and it's such a treat for them. 






In small groups we focused on inflected endings, which are very, very hard for them! Do not worry if your child struggled this week, it's normal and we will continue to practice all year. 


Fridays I give the assessments and then the students have an opportunity to finish up any work that needs to be finished, read, shop for books, or take Reading Counts quizzes.

Thanks to our first parent reader, Mrs Sullivan (and company!)! If you haven't signed up yet, don't forget to do so!



No comments:

Post a Comment